Based in Wheeling, WV, the Ziegenfelder Company is a private, family owned frozen novelty manufacturer that focuses solely on producing the highest quality frozen ice novelties, commonly referred to as twin pops. We are the largest manufacturer of twin pops in the country with production facilities in Wheeling, WV; Chino, CA; and Denver, CO.
The Ziegenfelder Company has averaged solid double-digit growth for the past 15 years while growing our tribe from 60 employees in one facility with three production lines to over 300 employees across three facilities and 10 production lines. Core to our success has always been making the highest quality, best tasting products in the market and selling them to valued customers at the best possible price. The Ziegenfelder Company owns and produces the brand Budget Saver, as well as, licensed and private labeled products for premiere retailers, such as Albertsons, Dollar General, Kroger, and Walmart. 24/7 operations in our three facilities, generates over 2.2 million pops per day.
Ziegenfelder’s growth and success is clearly due to our dedicated tribe. We value integrity, creativity and innovation, and are committed to positively impacting our workforce and the communities in which we live and work.
Growing together, revolutionizing our company and bringing smiles to every home in America.
Making people smile with really cool treats.
Growing Better Together.
ZIEGGY ESSENTIALS – T.W.I.N.S.
Think Tribe First
Win by Always doing the Right Thing
Inspire Each Other
Nurture our Zieggy Economy
As the Director of Operations at our Wheeling, WV. location, you will lead, direct and oversee all daily functions which include production, maintenance, safety, food safety, quality and shipping & receiving. You will be expected to utilize strategic capabilities, and bring strong leadership and management abilities to the tactical implementation of those strategies. You will set appropriate goals and KPIs based on production and operational expectations. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with the VP of Operations and Zieggy Leadership Team in making decisions benefiting our tribe, our customers, and our community.
Our tribe members are the heart and soul of Ziegenfelder. Your skills as a change agent will positively inspire, influence, and engage the Wheeling tribe to feel valued, motivated and part of the Ziegenfelder family. This includes hiring top talent, providing them with the tools to be successful, working to develop their talents, and successfully growing their careers.
Leading by example is a must. You will need to demonstrate initiative, personal accountability, integrity, and credibility, as well as, openness to change. Your actions and decisions will be made with the Zieggy Essentials in mind.
Come thrive at Ziegenfelder with your true passion for people, operations, creating quality product, and your ability to embrace a fast-paced, changing environment. Bring leadership, inspiration & innovation to cultivate our remarkable workforce and deliver a positive business impact.
The Ziegenfelder Director of Operations is responsible for:
- Leading the day-to-day manufacturing operations and overall plant performance to include safety, production, quality standards, shipping, receiving, scheduling and maintenance ensuring that quality product is delivered on time and within specification to our customers.
- Helping drive and implement necessary training and procedures ensuring compliance with various government regulations including OSHA, FDA, SQF, HACCP, etc.
- Creating an environment of open communication within the Wheeling facility, as well as, across all facilities.
- Monitoring production, staffing, quality, and financial data to ensure quality product and safe, efficient operation of the plant.
- Developing manufacturing organizational, operational, and financial strategies for continuous improvement of plant operations.
- Coordinating with Vice President, Plant Operations to plan and implement CAPEX expenditures at the plant.
- Inspiring a culture of leadership, learning and development by consistently coaching and developing leaders at all levels throughout the facility.
- Establishing strong partnerships and collaboration with Leadership Tribe, to further focus on production, safety, food safety and people.
- Partnering with Production Supervisor and other department heads to ensure appropriate staffing models and staffing levels are in place.
Leaders at all levels and in all roles at Ziegenfelder strive to demonstrate leadership competencies. As Director of Operations, you will demonstrate:
- Integrity: Is direct and truthful, is ethical in making decisions and speaks candidly about tough issues. Is open-minded and listens to tribe members at all levels. Is widely trusted by others and keeps confidences.
- Self-awareness: Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Accountability: Seeks to take responsibility before placing blame. Able to react when unexpected problems arise, and proactive in developing plans to prevent problems from reoccurring. Admits mistakes, owns failures and commits to deliver expectations and responsibilities.
- Credibility: Makes decisions and problem solves based on regulations, facts, data and science. Clearly understands and communicates performance standards and expectations to others and is willing to hold self and others accountable to performance standards.
- Commitment: Contributes maximum effort to support company initiatives and is tenacious when problem solving for the good of the tribe and organization. Willing to go above and beyond to support success for others and the company.
- Teamwork: Focuses others’ energy on common goals, priorities and problems. Seeks common ground in an effort to resolve conflicts. Works harmoniously with colleagues and departments.
- Initiative: Works to identify and seize opportunities when they arise. Demonstrates initiative and is motivated to drive improvement. Skilled at original thought when evaluating problems and developing action plans. Able to consult with peers and third parties when additional expertise may be needed.
- Values and gives feedback: Seeks out, responds to, shares, and uses feedback.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration is preferred, or experience in lieu of education.
- 8+ years total manufacturing experience, including a minimum of 3-5 years in a manufacturing leadership role for a food or beverage manufacturer.
- Experience with a rapidly growing company with plant expansions.
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment with a high level of intellectual curiosity, and a passion and desire to understand and improve upon business processes.
- Ability to build, lead and inspire a team, developing bench strength at all levels and providing increased capabilities business-wide.
- Ability to instill a positive team environment. Must be able to communicate comfortably with the shop floor as well as members of the executive team.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to concisely summarize monthly operating results and future plans with executive staff and others.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds and move objects to a higher, lower or horizontal position.
- Ability to bend, twist, reach and grasp actions.
- Good spatial awareness working around manufacturing equipment.
- May be subject to noise above 85 decibels with proper protective equipment.
- May be subject to cold temperatures of less than 32F with proper protective equipment.